Sick of waiting for him to put a ring on it? This year throw away the rulebook and get down on one knee yourself.
Every four years there comes a day when women can take a bull by the horns and ask their man to marry them. February 29th is traditionally the one day when women can propose marriage and this year more women than ever are thinking of popping the question.
So why does it have to be just one day per year? We are in the 21st century, now either partner can take the initiative and move the relationship to the next level.
Here at MySinglefriend.com we like to think we know a thing or two about dating and romance, so we've put together our top tips for women who are planning on making the first move this Leap Year!
- Show you're interested - Don't wait for the guy to initiate conversation online, make the first move. Cinderella did not find her prince charming by waiting around. If you like someone, message them! You need to make things happen if you want to make the most of dating sites and apps. And this is 2016 - women can absolutely message the guy first!
- Make a plan - Take control! Men love a woman to be in charge, choose the location, activity, date and time. Good dates are always well thought out - nothing is left to chance. Try planning a day date, not just an event. This allows you to experience your date in multiple situations, instead of just one.
- Overdressing - Be yourself. Think you can sweep your date off his feet with a fancy outfit and six inch heels? Wrong. Even if you manage to pick him up initially, he won't stick around for long if you are putting on an act. Don't pretend to be something you aren't or be afraid to show who you are.
- Pick up the bill - Once upon a time, men had to pay for dinner or the date was considered a failure, dating is different now. This doesn't necessarily mean chivalry is dead. Of course some men will still always offer to foot the bill, but why not treat the guy? Offer to pay for the meal or at least go halves.
- Don't be afraid to call - Suggest a second date, don't wait for him to call, email or text. You're a strong independent woman. Take the initiative sometimes. Men love that, they respect it too and it takes the pressure and responsibility off them.
Sarah Beeny from MySingleFriend commented:
''The dating landscape has drastically changed over the decades. It used to be a case of a well dressed single gentleman pulls up the front of a single lady's home in the early evening, steps out of his car, and approaches her front door. The two of them were introduced to one another by a mutual friend at a social function some weeks prior.
''Instead, now technology is the way to date. Most singles are now signed up to a number of smartphone apps and online dating sites and it is perfectly normal for the girl to take charge, and why not!
''So this February 29th is the perfect excuse for girls to make the first move, take the initiative, be brave and wear the trousers in your relationship. Now is the time to dip your toe into the world of dating, set up a profile on MySingleFriend and you'll be able to read messages from potential matches so can see who's interested in you.''