We might all be staying in more due to the economic downturn, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy those special occasions and keep romance alive during stressful times. Staying in is the new going out so put the spark back into your home this Valentine’s Day with these DIY date night tips from HomeSense. It’s time to fall in love with your home all over again…
1. Give your living room the VIP treatment. Layer up the sofa with cushions and throws and create the perfect “snug” for a home screening of your favorite movie. Use table and floor lamps to create soft atmospheric lighting.
2. Dress your dining table to impress. Keep table centerpieces low so as not to obscure the view across the table. A collection of vases with single stems arranged on a tray makes an ideal table centre-piece. It can be easily re-moved before the meal is served maximizing table space.
3. Have fun with crockery and glassware and don’t be afraid to mix and match. The key to a successful table is to layer up your crockery. Look for unusual one-off pieces to accent your day-to-day white china. A patterned or colourful side plate and some show stopping glassware will add that extra special touch to the place setting.
4. Bring some romance to the table by filling champagne flutes with pretty foil wrapped chocolates. Write a little love note and wrap it around a napkin tying with ribbon.
5. Print out a copy of the menu and place in a decorative frame on the table for that five star dining experience in your own home.
6. Take inspiration from top restaurants and look for upholstered dining chairs that are comfortable and inviting for guests. Upholstered chairs instantly create a smart and sophisticated setting.
7. Don’t forget the lighting. A statement chandelier or a group of three pendant shades hung centrally over the table will “wow” your special guest upon arrival. Table lamps, lanterns and candles will provide additional mood lighting for added ambience.
8. Create a Boutique Hotel feel in your own home. Make the bed the focal point of the room by dressing it symmetrically. Choose smart white linen, layered with throws and pairs of cushions, look for luxurious textures such as silk and faux fur. If you have the space use two side table with a pair of striking table laps arranged symmetrically either side of the bed for added hotel chic.
9. Spoil your loved one with Breakfast in bed. Lay a tray with a bud vase and fresh bloom a pot of tea and coffee and plate of pastries.
10. Create personalised gifts for your valentine. A framed photo; an album of happy memories or a lantern with a little tag attached saying “you light up my life”. If you’re opting for the more traditional approach of flowers think about a beautiful vase to display them in. That way you have a gift that will last long after the blooms have faded.
11. If Valentines Day is all a bit too commercial for you why not make it extra special with a homemade gift? Bake some valentine’s cupcakes and invest in a heart shaped cookie cutter for Valentine’s treats. Present in a stylish storage tin.
For more valentines inspirations pop into your local HomeSense store and discover a whole host of romantic and unusual gifts for the special someone in your life.
Interiors Stylist and Blogger Marie Nichols said: “With chilly weather & financial pressures the modern home is fast becoming the focus of our social lives. An intimate dinner for two; a party with friends or a cozy movie night, and you don’t even need to step foot outside your own front door. This February it’s time to fall in love with your home all over again. A few clever buys and simple tricks will help you create fabulous 5 star home that’s big on style but easy on your pocket.”